For over thirty years KWA has been at the forefront of effective risk management within the martial arts industry.
Our approach is wholistic in that, as the Industry Peak Body, we deal with all aspects of risk manangement within the martial arts industry, these are:
- EDUCATION: our members have access to our online education platform that assists in regularly updated short courses on risk management, legal aspects, insurance, infectious diseases policies and child protection
- LEGAL SERVICES: The Martial Arts Industry Association (MAIA) has lawyers who are able to provide cost effective legal support and advice
- WAIVER PROVISION: Legally formatted waivers are essential in todays teaching environment, we provide all members legally tested waiver templates to be used in their club. Our waiver form is compliant with all State government legislations enabling the effective use and application of waivers.
- ACCREDITATION: All of our member instructors are able to be Accredited via the National Coaching Accreditation Scheme (NCAS) – administered by the Australian Coaching Council
- INSURANCE: KWA has been at the forefront of establishing effective insurance coverage for our industry. We review all insurance coverage on a 12 monthly basis to continually assess and improve the coverage we can provide to our members
The KWA Members Insurance Policy has been specifically designed to cater to the needs of the martial arts professional.
Policy features are:
- Public and Products Liability $20million
- Professional Indemnity Cover, including legal costs $5million
- Loss of Income protection
- Events & Fund raising coverage
Since 2011 the MAIA has established a ‘Minimum Insurance Standard’ that KWA adheres to.
- This ‘Insurance Standard’ provides that:
- All accredited instructors adhere to the Standard
- That the insurance is underwritten by an insurance company that is regulated by the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA)
- that the policy provides for 20 million dollars in Public Liability cover; $5million dollars in Professional indemnity cover; legal expense coverage.
Accordingly an KWA Member is covered by the most comprehensive and cost effective insurance available in Australia. The policy, underwritten by an APRA regulated insurer, meets all the critical needs and demands for both Organisations and Instructors. Public Liability of $20million, Professional Indemnity cover of $5million, Legals Expenses are just some of the features of our insurance cover. Our members policy is reviewed each year to make sure that it meets the needs of our members in an industry where demands, legal requirements and risk management issues are continually changing
The Standard was established after the MAIA established the following ‘pitfalls’ that potentially placed both instructors and their students at risk:
- General ignorance of instructors about what insurance is and how it works
- An overriding motivation by some instructors to obtain insurance at the lowest possible price with little regard to potential damage to themselves, their students or the broader industry
- Forging insurance certificates
- Getting insurance issued by companies based in sheltered countries like the Cayman Island and The West Indies such insurance is not underwritten an so largely worthless
- Taking out policies for fitness instructors, therapists or similar and attempting to apply these policies to a martial arts environment; such policies are manifestly inadequate in terms of the coverage they provide to both instructor and student.
It is important that your instructor meets the Martial Arts Industry Association Insurance Standard.
Enquiries should be directed to our office on 0426 900 587 or by email on firstname.lastname@example.org